Job Board Listing
Intermediate Vegetation Ecologist
Position: Intermediate Vegetation Ecologist
Application Deadline: March 11, 2020
Paragon is a leading environmental consulting company specializing in soils and vegetation as they relate to natural resource and infrastructure development and reclamation. Our team has the good fortune to work on many of the largest and most dynamic industrial projects in the country. Our reputation with clients is built through using applied science, decades of experience, and consistently sound judgment to help their projects be successful. We recognize the collective strengths of our team and are committed to providing high-quality service, while providing a safe and rewarding work environment. Paragon offers our team members an engaging and professional workplace that fosters creativity and diversity. We invest in our team by offering competitive salaries and benefits, interesting projects, fun group events, and numerous professional development opportunities.
Paragon is currently seeking Vegetation Ecologists to join our team. We’re hiring for one permanent, full-time staff position, in addition to pre-qualifying contract vegetation ecologists that would like to be on our pre-qualified subcontractor list.
Summary of Position:
As an Intermediate Vegetation Ecologist, you will be reporting to the Senior Ecologist, and to Project Managers as appropriate for client projects. Your knowledge and skills in plant species identification, vegetation and wetland classification and mapping, vegetation ecology, forestry, wetland and environmental assessment areas will be applied in existing and new client projects or programs, primarily within the oil sands, pipeline, mining and power sectors. You will be expected to contribute strong data collection and analytical skills along with critical writing and effective communication within a team of vegetation and ecological technical staff.
This position is responsible for conducting fieldwork, managing and analyzing data, supervising and mentoring junior staff in field and reporting tasks, and drafting reports. This position requires a strong understanding of vegetation and wetland science and reclamation, as well as demonstrated writing and review skills.
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Competently and safely conduct detailed vegetation and wetland inventory, assessment and monitoring data collection in the field for projects across Western Canada (often in remote locations) and Ontario, with limited supervision.
- Supervise field activities as crew lead of more junior staff. May act as a coach and provide technical support to more junior staff, especially in the field.
- Complete basic to more advanced plot data manipulation, summary and statistical analyses with direction from more senior staff.
- Develop, design and prepare small proposals and reports while participating in large proposal and report production under supervision.
- Provide leadership of project tasks of medium complexity and technical work and conduct peer reviews within junior to intermediate levels. Personal work will be reviewed by senior level technical leaders.
- With senior support, be the sole client contact on small projects and communicate with clients regarding the quality, type and timing of work.
- Work with employees from other environmental consulting companies, subcontractors and regulatory agencies while maintaining Paragon’s reputation.
- Assist the Senior Ecologist and Project Managers with tasks as requested and manage personal priorities and schedule for multiple project requests.
- Prepare regular, timely and accurate timesheets for clients, including all billable/non billable hours.
- Prepare expense reports, including all receipts, and submitted regularly and on time to Paragon admin staff.
- Relevant post-secondary degree from a recognized university that is related to Environmental Sciences, Vegetation and Wetland Ecology or Plant Sciences.
- Thorough understanding of the natural resources industry and standards, with at least four years of relevant vegetation and wetland experience in the field or office.
- Advanced experience in the identification of common plant species in Alberta and ability to identify more difficult (rare) ones. Please provide the region (e.g., boreal, foothills, parkland and/or prairie) and groups of plants (e.g., bryophytes, willows and/or sedges) your knowledge and skills currently span.
- Advanced experience with rare plant studies and environmental impact assessments with the ability to identify analytical techniques appropriate for various project scales.
- Experienced in completing complex and detailed vegetation and wetland mapping products using and/or manipulating standard classification systems as required.
- Professional designation within Province of Alberta (and/or corollary designations from other provinces). Please provide designation number and length of membership.
- Safety Certificates: Standard First Aid, GDII, H2S, OSSA, CSTS, PCST, Bear Aware, ATV and ARGO.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, as well as in a team setting.
- Strong working knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite. Operational knowledge of ArcGIS (including 3D softcopy mapping), PC-ORD and statistical packages (such as R) is an asset.
- Valid Class 5 Drivers License, with clean drivers abstract, able to travel throughout the province and work weekends when necessary.
- Good physical condition with the ability for high mental alertness and moderate physical exertion during field work.
How To Apply: Email
|How to Apply Details:
||Please submit your application to email@example.com, and include a cover letter that outlines why you would be a good fit for the Paragon team, your resume (with three references) – and indicate whether you are applying for the staff position or contractor pre-qualification. If you want to be considered for the contractor roster, please include your rate sheet too.
Paragon Soil and Environmental Consulting
Phone: (780) 434-0400
← Back to Job Board