Job Board Listing
Department Manager I
Position: Department Manager I
Number of Positions: 1
Application Deadline: March 16, 2020
Job Start Date: 4/1/2020
Job Location: Fort St John
Element has an opportunity for a Department Manager I. In this role you will be a member of the operational leadership team reporting to the Operations Manager or General Manager and perform a variety of leadership responsibilities within the department (facility revenue of less than $3M) to insure timely and accurate test results are delivered. All Operational Leadership positions must be proficient in a number of core business skills including but not limited to compliance to established safety rules, code of conduct, and company policies and procedures.
- Responsible for the department’s safety performance and awareness; spearheads and manages initiatives that drive a culture of safety first
- Under the direction of the Operations Manager and / or General Manager, helps lead the efficient operation and growth of the assigned department
- Plan, assign and schedule work for designated staff
- Assists in the engineering and coordination of projects from start to finish
- Works to assure quality, timeliness, consistency and accuracy of test reports
- Demonstrate knowledge of Element capabilities, processes and expertise to be able to clearly explain the benefits of Element testing services
- Represents Element with the highest levels of integrity and professionalism at all times
- Responsible for promoting and ensuring the Element quality assurance and safety program initiatives are executed upon
- Responsible and accountable to assigned staff decisions to include hiring, performance management, performance review decisions and execution, and approval of overtime and time cards
- Work with assigned staff to ensure work schedules are maintained and balanced
- Maintain an environment of respect and dignity within the department covering employee interactions and problem solving while ensuring work rules are known and followed
- Manages a team with fairness and consistency and takes interest in the development of direct reports
- Provide general administrative functions as required (invoicing, job list upkeep, supply report data for creation)
- Review testing services and promote additional capacity and process improvement
- Translate technical requirements of the client into providing pricing, timing and technical knowledge for quoting and commercial efforts
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.) from a four year college or university and / or a minimum of 5 years’ experience in a leadership role with a diploma or GED certificate preferred
- Working knowledge of laboratory safety with extensive knowledge of the current suite of testing capabilities
- Ability to read and interpret test specifications, drawings, test plans and/or blueprints
- Strong computer skills with basic mathematical skills with the ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry a plus
- Ability to lift <50 lbs. often and > 50 lbs. on occasion and stand on feet for long periods of time
- Technical leadership is vital to the production and operation of assigned tests with advanced working knowledge to operate various testing equipment
- Ability to communicate (written and oral) effectively with clients and colleagues with great attention to detail and timing of results
- Proven ability to multi task and work under strict time lines
- Organizational, problem-solving and conflict resolution skills to effectively establish and maintain two-way communications to understand the needs and concerns
- Understanding of continuous improvement disciplines such as Six Sigma, Kaizen, Lean Manufacturing, 5S, etc. preferred
We are Element, one of the fastest growing testing, inspection, certification and calibration businesses in the world.
We deliver critical services in Materials Testing, Product Qualification Testing, Certification, Device Calibration and Advisory Services to the Aerospace, Oil and Gas, Transportation, Industrials, Fire and Building product, Infrastructure and other leading sectors, where failure in service is simply not an option.
Everything we do helps our customers to build better products; get their products to market on time; save them time and money; and minimize the risk associated with product development and production.
Our mission is simple: to be the best testing partner in the world and together we strive towards a common vision of becoming the world’s most trusted testing partner.
We have four values that we strive to live by every single day.
- Safety – We keep our colleagues and visitors safe
- Integrity – We act honestly and fairly to do the right thing
- Excellence – We set new standards of excellence in everything we do
- Partnership – We work together for the benefit of our customers
When combined with our mission and vision, the ethos this creates, enables Element to deliver one thing. CERTAINTY. We exist to help make certain that the materials and products we test, inspect, certify and calibrate for our customers are safe, quality, compliant and fit for purpose.
How To Apply: Online, Email
Element Materials Technology8822 100 St
Fort St. John, British Columbia V1J3W9
Phone: (250) 785-2731
← Back to Job Board